Sunday 26 August 2012

Bolt Action SS - WIP 1




Some WIP pics of the first seven Waffen SS figures.  Two NCO's with MP40s, two with StG44 assault rifles and three with good old Kar98 rifles.  I need a larger base for the LMG team, so I'm waiting for them to arrive; the rest are based on 2p coins.  I've managed to stick to the "do something every day" ethos this week and am relatively happy with the progress I've made.  There are another dozen or so figures prepared and based, but I'm only working on a few at a time.





The first job was to paint all the skin on the seven figures (I hate painting faces, I'm terrible at it,) before starting on the camo patterns.  I'm just winging it at the moment, using Google to get an idea of the patterns and an Osprey book for the colours.  The first two figures, in Oak Leaf Spring camo, taught me that I can't add shade very well, so now I'm working from a much darker basecoat and highlighting up before adding the camo pattern.  Hopefully it will turn out ok.


They are by Warlord Games and I have to say that they are really excellent sculpts.  Some very dynamic poses along side some great expressions on some of the figures.  Of course, as metal miniatures, they take an absolute age to prepare, too many mould lines and flash, but definitely worth the effort. 



Going forward, I plan to finish all the camo patterns before moving onto the equipment.  Still undecided whether or not to use metallic paints or to try my pseudo-nmm technique.  I think they would look better the second way, but for convenience they might get the old Boltgun Metal, wash, highlight treatment.

6 comments:

  1. Great work! I've done some of these fellows as well and I agree the sculpt quality is great, and there are lovely dynamic poses as well. Are they going to represent any specific unit, or just generic? I've started leaving my metal plain black, with just the lightest of drybrushes to pick out the shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No specific unit in mind, but I'll probably go for an Eastern Front force for a change - I'm doing an Normandy Fallschirmjager force for FoW too.

      I'll have to pick your brain sometime about insignia on these guys, in particular the "bars" on the shoulders and sleeves of the camo smocks. My Google-fu isn't finding much.

      Delete
    2. Very happy to help, drop me an email with what you need and I'll get cracking on some research! colonelscipio@yahoo.co.uk

      Delete
  2. The Cammo looks good, I am working on the splintered camo on a group of snipers so I know the difficulty. Agree 100% about warlord figures though the flash and waste is a little more than we should have to tollerate and if not for the poses etc of the figurs I would not touch them.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, but compared to the Warlord plastics range, these guys look far more interesting.

      Delete
  3. Do share your FJ project please :) Am planning on starting a late war FJ eastern front company from grey wolf after completing my current army project.
    Be nice to get some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete