Wednesday 9 January 2013

X-Wing - New Year, Same Old Luck



After a break for the holidays, it was back to the club this week for a game of X-Wing.  Since we played last, Adam has picked up a copy of the game for himself, which now gives us the opportunity to run some different lists.  I decided I wanted to try the "Tie-Swarm," fitting in as many Tie Fighters as possible, in this case, seven.

Opposite, Adam opted for three tooled up Rebel ships, two X-Wings and one Y-Wing.  Luke Skywalker was one of the pilots and his ability is to regenerate shields, while the other X-Wing had an Astromech that let him repair damage.  Two abilities that would prove decisive.


Still, at the end of the first turn, above, I was feeling pretty confident, those seven Tie Fighters can put out a lot of shots!

Turn two and the Imperial squadron focused all their attacks on the Y-Wing which was destroyed, but only just.  I saw this a triumph in itself (it takes eight hits to destroy a Y-Wing) as I've barely put a scratch on the Rebel Battle Bus before!   There were still two X-Wings on the table though, time to deal with them.


Or not.  Turn four and I'm down to five Tie fighters.  At very close range, X-Wing is a very brutal game as everyone gets bonus attack dice.


Turn six and I'm starting to get a bit pissed off.  Another two of my ships have gone.  To make matters worse, Luke Skywalker has managed to restore both his shields and the other X-Wing, which was almost destroyed, has repaired all the damage.  Still, if I could isolate each and focus my attacks I could still turn this around...

I'm not even going to bother telling you how the game ended!

So, a new year, but my luck (or skill) at X-Wing hasn't changed.  I can't think of anything worse in wargaming, than having your opponent point out your obvious mistakes, not only to you, but to everyone standing around the table watching!  Despite my horrendous run of losses, I'm still enjoying X-Wing.  We're both looking forward to the new wave of releases and seeing what FFG have planned after that (fingers crossed for the B-Wing next!)

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, but it looked like a good game. Got a copy for Christmas myself so enjoy reading others' experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. At least you got a game in and had fun with your mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can console yourself with the thought that as you are playing the'bad guys'you are supposed to loose and are just playing in character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! That's exactly what I said when everyone gathered round to watch the last few rounds!

      Delete
  4. Great write up, despite the bad luck. Definitely going to give this a try but waiting for them to release B-Wings first - I'm sure my temporary boycott will make them sit up and get cracking.

    ReplyDelete